ROUND AIRCRAFT DESIGNS
Since Vought was associated with round aircraft designs more than thirty years apart, I thought I would include this photographic gallery, mostly for your amusement and wonder. Not all the designs shown are round but they are all entertaining and I knew you would want to see them. The gallery of phototgraphs is in three sections. Where known, I have given the name of the aircraft and in some cases the year it first appeared. The first section is round or "round-like" aircraft. The next section are Flying/Blended Wings. Some of them seen from the side, can appear to be round and then there is a section I have termed "Different Aircrft Designs". These aircraft are neither round, flying wings or blended wings, they are just ...well..different. Some of which have to be seen to believe they ever existed - let alone that some of them ever flew, glided, jumped or hopped into the air.
Lataste Aeroplane Gyroscopique
Lipkowski Helocopter, 1905
An offical report signed by a Professor N. L. Shutkin, who was appointed to witness andsupervise the experiment, consisting of two "Half Wings" with an overall diameter of 16 meters and a combined gross of 200 square meters, which were powered by 33 hp electic motor
Underwood, 1907 (Replica)
Donovan Monoplane, 1909
Davidson Gyro Copter, 1911
Kitchens Annualar, 1911
Built by John George Aulsebrook Kitchen, Scotforth, Lancashire)
Kitchen patented ideas for circular winged aircraft, with special aerodynamic features in 1910 and 1912. A biplane based on his theories was built in 1910 and housed at Famine Point near Heysham, Lancashire. The machine may have been tested, but did not fly before it was purchased at the end of 1910 by Cedric Lee, a wealthy engineer and textile manufacturer from Manchester. He was joined in developing the design by G. Tilghman Richards, an engineer and member of the Manchester Aero Club.
Lee-Richards Annualar, 1913
Lee - Richards Biplane Annualar Replica
While not exactly round, this design would make you turn and look. It was called the Mustard Plaster and was designed by Harold McCormick prior to 1912. Sidney James worked with the design at Cicero Field in Chicago but never got it very high off the ground. Chance Vought consulted on design changes. For more on this design >
The Dietz Shriver Paraplane, 1911, for more on this aircraft >
This design is the McCormick-Romme "Umbrella Plane" also called the "Cycloplane". It was designed by William S. Romme in 1910 and funded by Harold F. McCormick. Chance Vought served as a design consultant. For more detail on this design follow this link >
Anther design called the "Umbrellaplane" was also known as the "Roundwing". It was built in 1934. It had a 90hp Lambert engine; span: 16'0" length: 20'0" v: 120/95-100/20-25. Circular wing on a lengthened Alliance Argo fuselage for STOL performance. Initial experiments by Paul Nemeth with rotating wing forms go back to 1929. Designed by Nemeth and built by students at Miami University (OH) to test circular wing configuration. Repowered with 120hp Warner Scarab, later reworked as divided wing. Name has been seen spelled Nuneth.
Another Nemeth design is next.
Jonathan Caldwell Grey Goose, 1938
Astro V by Dynafan, 1964
Various Air Cushioned Vehicles
Moeller with Canopy
This design flew in Camden in 2000
French Disc, RC 360 1956
Rene Couzinet beside his disc
René Couzinet of France and his original design of a circular planform, vertical take-off-and-landing aircraft. The reported specifications for the improved version are:
Span: 44.6 feet
Lifting surface area: 645.6 square feet
Six Lycoming engines (180 hp each): 1,080 hp
One turbojet (Marcel Dassault Viper): 1,639 pounds thrust
Empty weight: 9,900 pounds
Useful load: 19,800 pounds
Total weight: 27,700 pounds
According to the report, the modified version incorporates a principle of operation similar to that used in Couzinets original proposal, that is, two contra-rotating discs superimposed to annul gyroscopic effect. The discs are supported by a fixed central section in which the cockpit, the engines, and landing gear are located. There are now 50 adjustable vanes around the periphery of each disc instead of the 48 in the earlier proposal.
The next area is classified "questionable"
Warning ! this next pictures is fake, but ...
We are unaware of any actual saucer-type vehicles comparable to those shown in the edited picture that were tested by the US military. The US Air Force did conduct some experiments with much smaller saucer shaped vehicles during the 1950s and 1960s, but these craft were closer in size to the automobiles pictured above than to a large aircraft.
In 1967, former US Navy aviator and aviation writer Jack D. Pickett and his business partner Harold Baker visited MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida, to gather information for an Air Force-sponsored article on historical experimental aircraft. At the edge of the base, they were shown four decommissioned X-planes - all of them flying discs - measuring 20, 40, 70 and 116 feet in diameter".
Whether Pickett and Baker actually saw such discs is open to speculation - certainly no official photos were ever released, and images of many other 'black designs' have become unclassified and made public over the years. And the two parked on the tarmac (top picture above) are neat cheats by artist Gino Marcomini, who has replaced the original B-29 Superfortress and Douglas Skyrocket with a pair of Discs, large and small.
The undoctored photo below shows NACA test pilot Scott Crossfield posing in front of the D-558-2 Skyrocket along with the crew, mother plane, and chase aircraft that supported his record-setting flight.
leaving "questionable" area
Sky Ship, UK 1975
Thermoplane by Aviastar in Russia
FLYING/BLENDED WING AIRCRAFT
Pilcher Beetle (glider)
Ellehammer, 1905 glider
Jone Aeroplane, 1905
Etich 1907 (glider)
Gibson Twin, 1910
Fritz-Russ Flyer, 1910
Edwards Rhomboidal, 1910
Reinig Apertoid, 1911
Forbes and Arnold, 1911
Shreck Diapason 1911
Dunne D-9, 1911
Roy Scroggs "Last Laugh"
JOY JX, 1935
William B. Stout "BatWing". For more on this aircraft and other Stout aircraft follow this link >
A curious twin-engine flying pancake-type with heart-shaped parasol wing and very little data. Motors were 4-cyl "Scroggies." Register listing [NX18966] c/n 5H-1 (as H) says 1pCM, but makes no mention of a pancake shape. Designed in about 1930 by A. L. Hackenburger of San Antonio, Texas.
Built by Dane Hulbert in1910 = 1pOB with laterally-placed wings, long-shaft pusher-tractor propellers; unspecified motor. 1913 Jane's claimed: "... achieved several flights." Said to have been built in Switzerland, but flown in USA.
This plane led to the next image
The Snyder A2 but also called the Arup 1
A podiatrist from South Bend, Indiana, was responsible for one of the more distinctive and successful tailless designs of the Depression. Dr. C.L. Snyder, intrigued with the flying qualities of a felt heel lift that he had idly tossed through the air one day in 1926, pursued his idea from the primitive model stage to unpowered and powered gliders, and finally to several highly successful disc-type aircraft.
Dr. Snyder's first aircraft was known as the Dirigiplane, Monowing, and finally Arup S-1, at various stages of its development. Rudders are at the after edges of-the vertical stabilizers; elevator extends across the wing trailing edge; ailerons are at the top of the vertical stabilizer, forward. Like Junkers, Soldenhoff, and Rumpler, Snyder's goal was to develop of the flying wing for air transport purposes. He envisioned an aircraft with a wing 15 feet thick with a 100-foot span and a 100-foot chord. The passengers were to be seated in the wing with a clear view forward through the plastic leading edge of the wing. Snyder's early glider experiments led to the formation of the Arup Manufacturing Corporation in 1932 to refine his initial experimental configuration to a practical aircraft. Aided by the engineering skills of Raoul Hoffman and with Glenn Doolittle (racing pilot Jimmie Doolittle's cousin) acting as test pilot, Dr. Snyder produced three more variations of the basic disc-shaped Arup S-1 powered glider. Of the three, Arup S-2 and S-4 proved to be more durable and practical, making hundreds of flights during the mid-1930s, including impressive demonstration flights for the NACA, CAA, and the Army.
The Arup experienced an accident-free service life. Some of its pronounced advantages over more conventional aircraft were greater lift and safety, increased cruising range, lower takeoff and landing speeds, and stall-proof flight characteristics. Dr. Snyder's Arups were not commercial successes, however. He had inadequate working capital, inexperienced management, and an aircraft that just did not "look right."
Arup S-4 demonstrated the practicality of a low aspect ratio wing. Both Arup S-2 (background) and the S-4 were frequently used as flying billboards during their accident-free careers. Raoul Hoffman, Dr. C.L. Snyder's engineer at Arup, left that company in 1933 and moved to Florida where he designed an Arup-type aircraft for a Chicago industrialist.
The Hoffman flying wing, like the Arups, had performance figures that were guaranteed to appeal to those citizens who wanted to replace the family automobile with an "air flivver." Unfortunately, Hoffman's aircraft caught fire in flight from a broken fuel line and crashed, killing the pilot.
Arup - 2
Arup - 4
Arup - 5
Arup drawing in Russian
Hoffman Flying Wing
Hoffman Flying Wing designed in 1934. Had a Cirrus Mk III engine; span: 22'8" length: 17'8" v: 135/x/28. Empty wt: 900#. 14'6" chord all-wing design was very similar to Arup S-2 as Hoffman was an ex-Arup employee. Built for J Leslie Young of Chicago. Planned for retractable gear, but a fixed gear was used. Had a novel cockpit ventilator in the wing's leading edge that howled to warn of stalls. Caught fire during a 1936 flight and crashed [NX11573].
Russian K-12, 1936
This aircraft was known as the Flying Flounder. It was designed and built by Cheston Eshelman and flew in 1942.
Focke-Wulf VTOL Model
All of the above are BICH aircraft
Horten Ho Vc
Naranjero 1, a Horten built in Argentina after the war
Lippisch Delta IV
Original Northrop Flying Wing, Jack Northrop beside prop
Northrop, 1929 Flying Wing 1
Northrop N-9M, 1943
Ni M Jeep
Another Bernelli Design
Junkers Glider Ju-322 Mammut
Fiesler F-3 early 1930s
Northrop YB, 1949
Northrop Flying Wings
Built by William E. Horton of Santa Ana, California in 1951. It had two 225hp Jacobs engines and extended driveshafts; span: 40'0". Not truly wingless, but essentially a highly-modified Cessna UC-78 with a more airfoil-shaped fuselage than wing. Although this innovative protoype flew successfully, no backers were attracted, and the project was abandoned, with the plane eventually being deliberately burned.
Zim-3 (RC model)
Geo Bat Model aircraft with plans to build a full scale aircraft
Home Made in Germany
Australian Rowe UFO
This aircraft is known as the Winfain Facetmobile
Northop "Tacit Blue" with the Boeing "Bird Of Prey" above
Northrop Tacit Blue
Boeing X-37 carried by the White Knight
Boeing Phantom Ray
X-48b1 drones posed
DIFFERENT AIRCRAFT DESIGNS
Moy Thomas, 1875
Goupil Duck, 1883
Earlier Whitehead design
Captain Durand, 1906
Aimee - Salmson, 1909
J. B.Ferguson, Belfast
Batson Flying House, 1913
This aircraft was built by William Pierce Gary in New Jersey in 1910-13. It had a 50hp Harriman engine. It was a 40' hooplike wingform with the tail on a boom. It was damaged beyond repair when the landing gear broke on take-off and, on alighting after a 100-yd flight, the craft dug its nose into the ground. There were at least three versions or modifications of this curiosity that actually flew (how long or how far was unstated), one of them with triplane wings within a hoop. Some reports mention a 20' circular wing, which could be any of the variations. The name was unofficially supplied by neighbors for its shape, as was also "Gary-plane." Gary built several other one-of-a-kind, more conventional planes after WW1, most of them from Curtiss JN-4 components.
Custer Channel Wing
Custer Channel Wing In Flight
Return to Experimental Aircraft >